Let’s discuss the details of your case:

(407) 377-0150

Free Consultation | Available 24/7 | Payment Plans Available

Traffic Violations and Tourists

Written by Moses & Rooth on September 20, 2017

Florida is a prime tourism state. In 2016, more than 112 million people visited the state. Gorgeous beaches, theme parks, top-notch golfing and nightlife bring people from all over the world to Florida.

With so many people coming into the state, odds are that many are going to get in trouble with the law. They may not cause felony crimes, but they can still be penalized for infractions such as traffic violations. Getting a traffic ticket while out of state can present some difficulties. How do you pay fines? Do you have to go to court?

Dealing with an Out-of-State Ticket

Under the Non-Resident Violator Compact, a speeding ticket in Florida will still affect you in your home state. This compact allows the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to exchange information with other states—particularly your home state. This means that your home state will know if you have received a traffic ticket or were charged with a crime in another state. The DMV will then apply your home state’s laws to the offense, so it will be like you got the ticket in your home state.

This means that you cannot simply ignore the ticket and refuse to pay it. The National Driver Register tracks the records of all drivers in the United States. This database can tell your state DMV whether or not you are licensed or eligible to receive a license. This information may be based off of unpaid traffic tickets from other states. Therefore, if you have not yet paid your traffic fine from your trip to Florida, you will not be able to renew your California driver’s license.

Do not let this happen. Ignoring the traffic violation will only make things worse. You could face even bigger fines and even get your license suspended.

Be sure to follow the rules in your state. You may also eligible for traffic school. This will hide the ticket from your record and deem you not guilty. You will not get points on your license and your insurance rates will not go up. Check with the DMV in your home state to see if you are eligible.

If a traffic violation led to an arrest, however, you should seek legal representation. Each state is different when it comes to laws and a criminal defense lawyer can help you understand your rights under Florida law. Do not try to handle an out-of-state crime on your own.

Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney for Help

When you travel to another state for business or pleasure, anything can happen. Because you’re not familiar with the roadways, a speeding ticket or other traffic ticket is a real possibility. You need experienced legal counsel to help you with these situations.

At the offices of Moses & Rooth, Attorneys at Law, our Orlando traffic violation attorneys have the experience to defend you in your DUI cases. Let us help you reduce your penalties or get your charges dropped altogether. Contact us today at (407) 377-0150 to schedule a free consultation.

Posted Under: Traffic Offenses

Comments are closed.