Legal Representation for a Repeat Drunk Driving Arrest in Florida
Decades of public scrutiny of drunk driving has led to serious legal penalties for DUI convictions, especially multiple DUI offenses. In Florida, penalties for multiple DUI convictions currently involve:
- A mandatory jail sentence of 10 days for a second DUI conviction within five years of the first conviction. A second conviction also leads to fines and the installation of an interlock device/Breathalyzer mechanism on your car. In order to start your car you cannot have alcohol on your breath. Additional sanctions such as fines and driver's license suspension also apply.
- If you refuse to blow into a Breathalyzer machine, and have also refused to do so in the past, your license will be suspended for 18 months.
Despite the gravity of multiple DUI offenses in Florida, there is hope. DUI charges can be fought by an experienced criminal defense attorney using a variety of defense tactics, including:
- Questioning the legality of police officers' search and seizure methods
- Using a motion to suppress
- Questioning the timing of the second offense; sometimes a second offense doesn't fall within the five-year time frame that prosecutors claim
When defense methods fail to yield results, we can evaluate your case for trial.
We Can Also Handle Your Case With the DMV
DUI cases don't just involve criminal procedures. Your driver's license can be suspended by the DMV through civil procedures.
If you've been arrested for DUI, it's important to contact an attorney immediately, because you have just 10 days from the date of your arrest to request a formal DMV hearing. If you fail to do so your license might be automatically suspended.
When we provide criminal defense legal services following DUI charges, we will also contact the DMV for you to prevent the automatic suspension of your driver's license, provided you contact us in time. Contact us as soon as possible to discuss the possibility of avoiding an automatic driver's license suspension.
Contact a Central Florida Repeat DUI Defense Lawyer
Our firm's main office is conveniently located in downtown Orlando, just a few blocks from the courthouse. Contact the Orlando DUI defense lawyers at Moses & Rooth Attorneys at Law by calling us at 407-377-0150. You may also complete our online contact form to schedule a free initial consultation.